Jones National Bank and Trust Co. History
The Jones National Bank and Trust Co. has served the people of Seward and the surrounding area since 1883. The Bank’s staff and their families have been an integral part of the community, participating in the varied endeavors of this prosperous Nebraska area. It has always been the sincere goal of the Bank to provide its customers with the best of business and personal financial services.
Claudius Jones, a businessman, born in Kendall, New York, followed the expansion of the railroad west. He helped establish banks in Galva and Monmouth Illinois before moving to Lincoln, Nebraska, after the Civil War. The history of the Jones National Bank began on September 21, 1883, when Claudius Jones, along with Harry T. Jones, Matthew A. Butler, Richard R. Schick, William W. Walker, Isaac B. Sorter, and Edward O’Keefe met for the purpose of organizing a national bank to serve the Seward area. On October 1, 1883, the Comptroller of the Currency issued a charter for The Jones National Bank to begin its banking operations under the laws of the United States. The Bank was opened on the northeast corner of the square in Seward and Claudius Jones was elected its first President. On December 31, 1883, the bank reported total assets of $85,600; on December 31, 2008, the Bank reported total assets of more than $185,000,000.
In 1958, the Jones National Bank constructed a new facility and moved to its present location on the corner of 6th and Main Streets in Seward. In 1979, the Bank was authorized to establish a trust company and the Bank’s name was changed to The Jones National Bank and Trust Company of Seward.
In 1928, seventeen banks existed in Seward County. Over time, a number of these banks were incorporated into The Jones National Bank. Frequently, the employees of the acquired banks continued to work for Jones National Bank and Trust Co. The Seward County Bank was established by S.C. Langworthy in 1876. It later evolved into the First National Bank, and was acquired by the Jones National Bank and Trust Co. in 1928. A.J. Trute had worked at the First National Bank, and became an Assistant Cashier at Jones National Bank from 1929 to 1947. The Farmers State Bank was also assumed by the Jones National Bank and Trust Co. when its owner died. The Goehner State Bank, founded in 1903, was acquired by The Jones National Bank and Trust Co. on December 5, 1942. The owner’s daughter had worked for her father’s bank in Goehner since 1929 and continued as a valuable employee of The Jones National Bank and Trust Co. The Bank of Staplehurst, founded in 1886, was acquired by the Jones National Bank and Trust Co. in 1956. Seward Equitable Building and Loan Association was founded in 1894 and eventually was acquired by American National Bank. In September of 1997, the Jones National Bank and Trust Co. assumed the deposits of the American National Bank branch in Seward and purchased the branch building.
In 2003 the Bank began construction of a branch in Milford, Nebraska. That office opened for business in January, 2004. Today as the banking industry in Nebraska continues to evolve, the Jones National Bank and Trust Co. remains financially strong and devoted to Seward County.